Olive leaf – When you think of it, it is peace that comes your mind, isn’t it? Yes, the dove carrying olive branch has been used as a symbol of peace right from the 5th century B.C. It is generally believed that the dove is the symbol of peace in ‘Dove and olive’ but it is not true. It is the olive that is actually the symbol of peace. Olive leaf is native to Asia and Syria but is cultivated in abundance Mediterranean countries. Its scientific name is Olea euorpaea.
The History and Origin of Olive Leaf
According to Greek mythology, Athena – Goddess of wisdom, planted the first Olive tree at Acropolis and instilled the tree with powers of healing and nourishment. It is of no wonder that olive leaves have been used for health maintenance for centuries. It was first used medicinally by the Egyptians. The modern medicine recognized its medical uses only after the year 1900. Many researches and studies have been conducted to prove the health benefits of olive leaves.
Olive leaves are miraculous source of health with numerous health benefits. Most people seem to have knowledge about the benefits of olive oil and fruits but not about olive leaves. Olive leaves are rich sources of flavonoids, anthocyanins and polyphenols etc. That makes them the miraculous source of health and immunity.
Health Benefits of Olive Leaf
1. Immunity and Antibiotic properties of Olive leaf
Improving the immunity is the secret weapon to fight against all diseases and to stay healthy and fit. Olive leaf contains oleuropein which is known for its antibacterial and antiviral effects. It helps in keeping away colds, yeast infections, allergies, fungal infections and sinus infections etc. What do most antibiotics do? They kill the beneficial bacteria along with the disease causing pathogens. What is the result? The immunity levels are lowered and the risk of occurrence of yeast infections and others are increased. Olive leaf inactivates the pathogens and not the good bacteria.
2. Antioxidant properties of Olive leaf
The antioxidant properties of olive leaf is higher than green tea. There are many health benefits caused by the antioxidant properties of olive leaf. These benefits are clearly stated in http://www.about-olive-leaf-extract.com/benefits-of-olive-leaf-extract.html.
- Slowing down aging – It is the free radicals that cause the symptoms of aging. Olive leaf neutralizes the free radicals and slow down the ageing process. It helps in keeping the skin wrinkle-free and gives a youthful look.
- Cardiovascular benefits – It has been proved scientifically through many laboratory studies that the compounds present in olive leaf help in lowering the levels of LDL. It also reduces the blood pressure. High blood pressure is one of the main reasons for cardiovascular diseases. Experiments also prove that olive leaf increases the blood flow to the arteries and keeps the coronary artery relaxed.
- Arthritis – It reduces the pain and swelling caused due to arthritis.
- Gout – A study conducted by University of Leipzig in Germany proves that olive leaf is a great natural remedy for gout as it has the property of inhibiting the production of Xanthin oxidase, an enzyme that causes gout.
3. Anti inflammatory properties
- Weight loss – A study was conducted in the University of South Queensland to study the effects of olive leaf on weight loss. It proved that the anti-inflammatory properties of olive leaf can help preventing storage of fat. This could result in control of obesity and in weight loss. The results of the study were published in The Journal of Nutrition. Further information could be seen in http://health.ninemsn.com/dietandnutrition/nutrition/7928130/olive-leaf-extract-helps-fight-fat.
- Stroke – The anti-inflammatory properties of olive leaf can help in avoiding stroke, in preventing brain damage and keeping the nervous system healthy. This has been experimented on animals. There are no conclusive results with regard to humans.
- It is effective in lowering blood sugar levels.
5. Blood clotting
- Oleuropein in olive leaf inhibits the production of angiotensin and thrombaxene A2 to help people suffering from bleeding disorders. It has anti-coagulation properties. This can be referred in http://www.theoliveleaf.net/olive-leaf-extract-benefits.
6. Stomach disorders
- It helps in the cure of gastritis. It also helps in treating stomach cramps. It reduces acidity and improves digestion. It prevents diarrhea and dysentery.
- Clinical studies conducted by New York University showed that it is a anti tumor agent and can reverse the symptoms of cancer. It also concluded that it can improve the symptoms in HIV infected patients.
8. Increased energy
- Fatigue can be caused due to the production of harmful toxins in the body. Olive leaf prevents the production of these toxins and enhances the energy levels. Say good bye to fatigue and remain energetic at home and in work.
9. Mental health
- It reduces stress and improves the mental health.
10. Anti-microbial properties
- It prevents flu, common cold, infections in eye and ear and vaginal infection etc. because of its anti-microbial properties.
How to Use Olive Leaf?
Olive leaf extracts are available in tablets and tonic forms in the market. It can be powdered at home and used in many ways.
How to Powder Olive Leaf?
Keep the leaves on a large tray or long piece of cloth and place it in the sunlight. Let it dry completely. Make sure you store the leaves in a box overnight. Repeat the process until the leaves are completely dry. Dry grind the leaves and store it in a airtight container.
How to Use the Powder?
You can add it to juices, soups and salads. If you feel that the powder spoils the taste of your recipes, you can fill empty capsules with this powder. You can take a capsule a day. This improves the immunity. If taken regularly you can prevent the occurrence and recurrence of flu and yeast infection and it is also used in sinus infection remedies.
Do you have cold? You can take 3 capsules a day or mix a teaspoon in hot water and drink it. Do you have diabetes? You can take up to one teaspoon a day to lower the sugar levels. This is the recommendation in http://www.naturalnews.com/026950_olive_leaf_healing_flu.html
Olive leaf tea has a unique taste. Drink olive leaf tea and avoid caffeine. It can also be added to green tea. You can feel energetic if you drink olive leaf tea in the morning.
Olive leaf is a natural wonder with amazing health benefits. Most of the olive leaf health benefits have been proved, but it is better to consult your doctor before taking olive leaf capsules or other extracts.