Natural allergy remedies prove to be a boon when it comes to preventing or minimizing the symptoms of allergy. An allergy is a hypersensitive reaction by the body’s immune system towards harmless substances which are commonly referred to as allergens. This issue arises due to excessive activation of mast cells and basophils by immunoglobulin. Allergies cannot be eliminated but can be reduced using various methods; the mildest being the natural remedies for allergies. Mostly all allergy remedies aim at reducing the histamine level in the circulatory system.
Onions for Allergies:
Symptoms and Causes
Allergies are caused by allergens which result in production of histamine by the immune system which affects various parts of the body such as the skin, nose, throat and digestive duct. The various allergens include food, insect bites, dander, medicine, pollen, grass, mold, yeast smoke etc.
The different parts of the body respond to histamine in various ways which indicates allergy symptoms such as hives, skin rashes, difficulty in swallowing, respiratory problems, itching sensation in throat and nose, sore and red eyes and diarrhea or vomiting caused by indigestion that is triggered due to an allergy induced by consumption of certain foods. (See pollen allergy symptoms.)
Normally, the body releases antibodies to destroy the allergens. The antibodies that are released for allergic reactions are known as histamine. The action of the antibodies results in the inflammatory response or reactions such hives, asthma, hay fever, eczema among others which vary depending on the allergen. There are some allergies that may be severe and even fatal such as anaphylaxis.
There are various different allergy treatments ranging from anti-histamines to steroids and other medication all of which involves the usage and intake of a variety of artificial or processed drugs that are not used by many people even though it solves the problems in question because of its delayed results. For this reason natural allergy remedies are preferred over conventional treatments. Other effective remedies include avoiding the allergens.
There are various types of home remedies for allergies; these include natural remedies, homeopathic remedies and herbal remedies.
Natural remedies for allergies involve the use of natural products and resources that are meant to fight the allergies or to prevent allergic reactions.
- One such remedy is the use of stinging nettle, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, to treat the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Taking of about 600 mg daily for up to a week can help to reduce allergic reactions.
- Another natural remedy is the use of goldenseal. Since it has antibacterial and immune booster properties it can assist in minimizing the allergic symptoms. A teaspoon of goldenseal should be mixed with a teaspoon of borax in a pint of boiled water and kept aside. After 2 hours, shake the mixture well and pour it on the hand to be sniffed. This remedy opens up the nostrils. For a more effective result the sniffing step is to be repeated at least 5 times per day.
- Yet another allergic remedy is butterbur which is recommended for respiratory problems such as asthma and bronchitis. For faster results one should take about 500 mg daily for a period of four months to heal or significantly reduce the allergic reactions.
- Quercetin is also a natural remedy which is found in different fruits and vegetables. It efficiently suppresses histamine discharge. Moreover, the body absorbs it faster therefore; it proves to be an effectual natural allergy remedy. Consuming about 500 mg Quercetin twice a day can immensely help in preventing an allergic reaction.
Some herbs also have an antihistamine result in the body thus they can help to prevent allergies. Few herbs also build up a resistance against the allergens.
- Chamomile is one of the herbal remedy that is famous for its anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties. Due to this aspect, it is a highly recommended remedy for allergic symptoms such as hay fever. It is added to tea and gives out a mint like taste and scent.
- Oranges have vitamin C which has antihistamine properties and are known to boost the immune system hence they are effective in preventing respiratory inflammations that arises from various allergens that affects the lungs, nose and throat. There are other fruits that contain vitamin C like lemons, grapes, plums and so on.
- Another useful herb is ginger. With its anti-microbial properties it inhibits platelet acting factors that respond by causing inflammatory reactions, it also works like vitamin C by preventing excess production of histamine which results in allergic reactions. Thus ginger proves to be an effective natural herbal remedy of allergies.
- The eucalyptus has varied properties and its oil can be applied on the chest which can assist in clearing the chest and avoid congestion. It is also effective in clearing the nasal cavity from blockages.
- Honey, a natural delicacy can effectively help the body to resist allergens.
Special Herbal Remedy for Allergies
AllergiClear is a compound remedy containing herbal and nutritional ingredients known for their positive effect in maintaining histamine levels within the normal range and supporting clear eyes, nose, sinuses and healthy problem free skin.
Home remedies for allergies can be obtained at the comfort of one’s home. Most of these remedies are simple and have the ability to help the body in avoiding allergic reactions.
- Starting with green tea that can be easily prepared in a few minutes, it has an antihistamine property and results in a quick relief from allergy. A cup or two can bring about a noticeable improvement in the body which aids to resist allergic reactions.
- Apple cider vinegar which is found in every kitchen also possesses an effectual property that can treat dry itchy scalp and skin caused by allergens. Since it is bitter to taste, it can be added to food or mixed with water. Additionally, being acidic in nature, it also helps as a disinfectant.
- Another easy home remedy for allergy is peppermint tea which acts as a decongestant. It mostly helps in reducing respiratory problems specifically associated with sinus. It also assists in minimizing dry throats and coughing.
- Allergic reactions that affect the eyes can be prevented using eye drops which are very effective for eye related allergies. Eye drops makes the eyes moist which aids to flush the allergens away and provides a quick relief.
- Garlic, a vital ingredient in every meal, has considerable antiviral properties and hence is a very effective remedy for allergy. It is more effective when eaten raw rather than cooked. Four cloves of garlic in honey can have a great effect in preventing allergies that are common during the cold season.
To conclude, nature provides us with a wide variety of natural allergy remedies and foods to cure ailments and allergic reactions and we ought to make use of these gifts of nature to heal various problems that are associated with allergy.
Allergies are caused by the immune system being run down. Discover some more natural allergy remedies using herbal supplements by watching this quick video from a registered dietitian.
Ebooks related to Home Remedies for Allergies
Join our weekly home remedies newsletter and get this ebook and many more completely free!