Gout remedies are something many people want to know more about as it can cause unbearable pain. In this article we will discuss some of the more effective home remedies for gout, but first let us address what gout actually is.
Gout is an inflammatory disease in the joints caused due to the excessive uric acid. It is actually a form of arthritis and is also referred to as gouty arthritis. The kidneys are not able to
eliminate the excessive uric acid which crystallizes and gets deposited in joints, especially in the big toes.
It may also cause inflammation in toes, ankles, knees, elbows, wrists and ears. It may be due to heredity, overweight, heavy alcohol consumption, exposure to lead or intake of very rich in purine.
It is also called the ‘disease of the kings’. Gout, when left untreated may lead to damage in joints and disability.
Gout remedies include many medications, home remedies and alternative remedies. The medications include NSAIDs like ibuprofen, corticosteroids like prednisone and other medicines prescribed by the doctor. Although, these medications help in pain relief and treating gout, there may be side effects like pain in the abdomen, ulcers and weakening of immune system etc.
There are many home remedies for gout that are effective and absolutely free of side effects.
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for gout. It removes the excessive uric acid from the body. Chew two to three pods of raw garlic. If you cannot bear the odor, you can also boil garlic pods in milk and water and drink it. Turmeric is also helpful in treating gout. Make sure that your recipes include garlic, ginger and turmeric.
- Ginger alone is excellent to relieve joint pain:
- Dissolve half a teaspoon of baking soda in quarter cup of water and drink this solution in empty stomach.
- Drink plenty of water. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- The malic acid found in the apple neutralizes the uric acid. Bananas are also beneficial in treating gout. Anthocyanin present in the cherries helps in reducing the inflammation caused due to gout. Eat plenty of apples, strawberries, blueberries, bananas and cherries.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in two tablespoons of honey. Drinking this twice a day is a great remedy for gout.
- Drink plenty of green tea and tender coconut. Increasing the fluid intake is very important.
- Avoid purine rich food like red meat, mushrooms, processed bakery food and oatmeal in your diet. Avoid vegetables like cauliflower, spinach and legumes like beans and peas. Mushrooms should also be avoided because they are rich in proteins. Your diet should not be rich in protein as well as purines. Fried foods, rich desserts, white flour, sugar, tinned food and caffeinated drinks are rich in uric acid. Avoid them in your diet. Natural diet is one of the best remedies for gout. Include a lot of fresh vegetables, fruits and sprouts in your diet. You can also drink plenty of vegetable juices like carrot juice, cucumber juice, french beans juice, and unsweetened fresh juices. The right diet is very important to get rid of gout. Prepare a diet planner and follow it strictly.
If you have gout in toes there are some very effective remedies. Soaking your feet in water dissolved with charcoal powder, or ginger paste or apple cider vinegar or Epsom salts gives relief from gout pain. You can also add Epsom salts to your bath. The magnesium in Epsom salts has a magical effect on gout. It is one of the best natural remedies for gout.
- You can also apply some packs on the affected area to get relief from gout pain. Applying ice pack is the easiest way to reduce the pain. You can also apply warm heating pad to soothe down the pain. You can apply cold and hot packs alternately to get relief. Make a paste with half a cup of charcoal powder and water and apply it on the affected area and leave it for half an hour. Then wash it away with warm water. You can also apply a paste of wheat flour mixed with mustard powder and water. You should leave this pack overnight to get full relief. Wrapping a wet towel on the inflamed area also gives relief. These are some of the gout remedies that give pain relief.
The natural remedies for gout also include some life style changes.
- Avoid alcohol. Rotate the joints and exercise the joints slowly.
- Avoid exerting weight on the affected area. If you have gout problem in your toes or ankles, you can use a walking stick to walk. If you are not willing to use it in workplace, you can use a stick at least in your home.
- Keep your legs elevated when you are sitting or lying down.
- Make sure you are not overweight. It is better to reduce your weight immediately if you are obese or overweight.
- Exercise regularly. Exercises make you sweat. Sweating is necessary to eliminate the excessive uric acid in the body. Exercises also strengthen your joints. Your joints can be protected from getting damaged.
- Are you a male? Here is some good news for you. Regular sex prevents formation of gout.
- Are there any chances that you may have developed lead poisoning due to exposure to lead in workplace? If so, make the necessary tests to rule out lead poisoning.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Avoid tight fitting stocks.
- Avoid stress. Stress increases the production of uric acid in the body.
- Practice yoga, meditation and breathing exercises to reduce stress.
- Sleep well. Sleep apnea worsens gout.
Gout remedies also include alternative therapies like acupuncture, acupressure, homeopathy and herbal medicines. Acupuncture is the ancient Chinese therapy that treats many diseases by inserting thin needles in certain areas. The needles are not inserted directly on the affected area, but in other areas. Acupressure is also similar, but pressure is applied instead of needles.
A professional homeopathy practitioner can treat gout and prevent further attacks through various homeopathy medicines.
The medicines vary from one patient to another depending upon the severity, symptoms and other factors. The herbal gout remedies include extracts from devil’s claw, gravel root and nettle root etc.
Special Homeopathic Remedy for Gout
This stuff works!
Gout-Gone is a safe, non–addictive, FDA–registered natural remedy containing 100% homeopathic ingredients to relieve gout symptoms, including swelling, inflammation and burning pain in small joints, especially the big toe.
It is better to prevent gout rather than treating gout. Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and drink plenty of water to avoid gout. If you have gout, don’t worry. There are many gout remedies and you can choose one to suit your needs and requirements.
Ebooks related to Gout
Get this ebook for free when you join our list. Sign up for free and get access to our free home remedies ebook collection.