Rosacea is a chronic skin disease that is characterized by skin inflammation in varying degrees and produces symptoms similar to acne and eczema. It usually affects the face and is more prevalent in middle aged women than men. It can cause damaging effects on skin like redness, acne and pus filled bumps. Based upon the symptoms, Rosacea is briefly classified into four types each causing distinct symptoms like redness, papules, skin thickening and eye problems.
Though the exact causes of Rosacea has not been proved, unhealthy food habits and certain triggers are known to aggravate the condition. Some of the possible factors that can cause Rosacea are:
- Blood vessel abnormalities
- Activation of skin peptides due to triggers like alcohol, UV exposure, spicy food, oily food, exercise and stress.
- Microscopic mites
- Helicobacter pylori bacteria
Pitta Dosh and Rosacea
A proven cure for rosacea is yet to be made available in the western medicine. Topical creams and oral medications have little effect in curbing the symptoms of Rosacea in the long term. Rather than focus on such external medication, Ayurveda focuses on the internal factors and the root causes of the disease to cure Rosacea. The basic principle of Ayurveda tells that the body has to be in balance with the fire and water qualities. Ayurveda calls the quality that is associated with hot, sharp, oily, moist and sour smell as the Pitta. When the body has too much pitta, the entire metabolism will get disrupted. Extra heat or excessive pitta causes an imbalance in the body leading to diseases like Rosacea. The treatments that Ayurveda proposes to cure Rosacea stem from this fact and hence focus on balancing the pitta level in the body.
Ayurveda Diet Control for Rosacea
The most natural way for balancing pitta is to adopt an appropriate diet that will bring coolness to the body.
Food to Avoid
Any types of food that can increase pitta dosh like fried foods, spicy food, pickles, fermented products, alcohol and coffee are to be avoided. Conditions like Rosacea are directly linked to these food triggers. Spices and heavy foods like meat and oily items that that take up a long time for digestion are also to be avoided.
Food to Have to Cure Rosacea
Food items that bring coolness to the body can be consumed to alleviate the effects of Rosacea. Food rich in fiber and riboflavin like collard greens, broccoli and chard are easy to digest and have a calming effect on your body. Mild spices like coriander, turmeric and cumin can also be consumed.
Herbs to Cure Rosacea
- Ayurveda practitioners recommend the panchakarma treatment that involves a 5 stage cleansing process using herbs like castor oil, burdock and dandelion roots.
- Tinctures made from Ashwagandha (East Indian ginseng) or Siberian ginsengs are also used to treat Rosacea. Green tea extracts and tea tree oil are some more herbs used in the treatment of Rosacea.
- Feverfew, berries and hawthorn are sources of Vitamin C that is used to treat Rosacea.
- Golden sal and coptis are used against the bacteria causing Rosacea.
- Some other herbs used include chamomile, turmeric, coriander and aloe vera.
Other Ayurveda and Home Remedies to Cure Rosacea
- Olive leaf extract.
- Internal cleansing with olive leaf extracts gets rid of icrobes and boosts your immune system. Use a product that has high levels of (at least 20-25%) oleuropin and take it everyday for 4-6 moths.
- Wash your skin and then apply camphor oil to the affected areas. But remember to use camphor only sparingly.
- Chamomile compress can reduce the skin redness caused by Rosacea. Avoid using chamomile if you have any associated allergies.
- Blend fresh cucumbers and make them into a paste. Apply the paste on your face as a facial mask and cleanse it with cool water after half an hour. Do it daily for better results.
- Boil 2 tbsp. of fenugreek with water and strain the liquid. Add 2 tsp. of ginger paste and 1 tsp of honey and mix well. Have drink of this mixture every morning.
- Mix 1 tsp of licorice powder, 1 tsp of honey and aloe gel into a mixture and apply it on face. Wash off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
Getting Rid of Rosacea Forever
Ayurveda methods tend to work slow but steady. They focus on cleansing the body of the unwanted toxins and excessive heat to cure Rosacea and other similar diseases. Hence it takes at least a month to see visible effects of the treatment. It is also recommended to undergo cleansing at least once a year to maintain our body and prevent Rosacea from occurring again. Elevated stress levels, sleeplessness and unhealthy food habits can bring back Rosacea. The diet has to be followed in moderation and individuals must pay attention to their lifestyles and food habits if they want to be free from Rosacea forever.
Author Bio – I have invested the best part of my life helping people look beautiful. Skincare is a personal arena still people are always curious to know the secrets behind a smooth supple skin that attracts not only individuals of the opposite sex but can also make people of the same sex blue with jealousy. I have a blog on beautynskincare that takes care of all your skin care needs along with skin problems that are faced by human beings in daily life. Follow me on twitter @tobeautifulskin.
Ebooks Related to Rosacea and Other Skin Conditions
Pick up this particular ebook now here: Natural ways to get rid of Acne
Sign up with the every week newsletter and receive home treatment plus natural health ebooks just like this one presented to your email every week for free!.
When you invest in my own personal ebook, “The Big Book of Home Remedies” you may additionally obtain instant access for our confidential members location that lets you to install any of our four hundred plus organic health and wellness ebooks free of cost.
February 27, 2015
Rosacea has been quite a problem with women. Although ayurveda seems a slow process if it works it is worth giving a shot.