People suffering from dry scalp or dandruff can get treatment for their dry scalp either from their dermatologist, using over the counter medication, or at home.
Of the lot, it’s generally the home remedies for a dry itchy scalp that work out the best as they are not only easy to access, they also don’t have any side effects other medication may give with prolonged use.
Dry scalp is generally triggered by the same factors that trigger dry skin which are environmental and dietary triggers. While most people apply moisturizers and body oils to moisturize their dry skin, they forget to moisturize the scalp because of the hair on the scalp.
A very effective dry scalp treatment involves massage and moisturizers. Massaging helps improve the blood circulation in the scalp, wherein the scalp produces natural oils that prevent the skin from drying. Give your scalp a 5 minute massage once a week to help restore healthy scalp oil production and prevent the recurrence of a dry scalp.
Essential Oils to Treat Dry Itchy Scalp
Essential oils found in aromatherapy treatments offer a great massage treatment option for dry scalp, dandruff and even dry and itching scalps. It is the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of these essential oils that help treat itchy and dry scalps. They not only soothe the scalp, but also soothe your mind with its calm and relaxing aroma.
Jojoba oil helps moisturize the scalp while repairing surrounding skin and hair. Almond oil effectively reduces the redness and stiffness of the scalp while amalaki oil nourishes the scalp while reducing the production of flakes. Tea tree oil helps alleviate flakes. Other oils you can try as a dry scalp remedy are myrrh, coconut, peppermint, raised, rosemary, basil, lemon, lavender, patchouli and chamomile.
Massage Mixtures Worth Using
Besides massaging your scalp with essential oils, try massaging a mixture of a cup of olive oil and 10 finely crushed aspirin. Another mixture to try as dry scalp treatment is simmering 12 tablespoons of oatmeal in 6 cups of boiling water for an hour and then straining the oatmeal.
Add rosemary oil to the water and apply to the scalp. Both these mixtures have to be massaged to the scalp for 2-3 minutes, after which you have to wrap your head in a plastic wrap and towel for another 5 minutes. Then rinse for a minute using cool water and then shampoo as normal.
Always Use High Quality Moisturizers
The use of the right shampoo also helps to treat your dry scalp problem. If you have a dry scalp, look for products with coal tar, urea or salicylic lactic acid. Coal tar and salicylic acid are ingredients that reduce the regeneration of skin cells, and huts leads to fewer flakes and less dry skin. For maximum effectiveness, these shampoos should be worked into the scalp and let to sit for a few minutes before rinsing.
Though shampoos, creams and foams with corticosteroids can produce relief from dry scalp, it’s better to consult with your doctor before starting any steroid based product.
People with dry scalps should not use mouse and hair styling creams and sprays as they only trigger and worsen the condition. Moreover, it is better to avoid using any high heat dry scalp treatments like styling with curlers, flat irons and blow-drying.
A Healthy Diet
Before shampooing your hair, add natural oils like olive, coconut, avocado or jojoba oil or mayonnaise to your hair. All of this works as a great conditioner for your hair before shampooing it.
Apply any of these oils onto your hair and tie up your hair in a bun for about 20 minutes. For better moisturizing effects, wrap your hair under a plastic cap and then cover with a heat cap.
Aloe Vera juice is an effective skin moisturizer. You just have to rub its gel on your scalp using your fingertips. It not only provides relief from dry and itchy scalp but also stimulates hair follicles.
A healthy diet rich in vitamin E is also effective in treating dry scalps as it moisturizes the scalp from inside. It is also a beneficial vitamin for hair growth. Include lots of fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts to your diet for a healthy scalp. Lemon juice is an effective and cheap home remedy for dry scalp that unlocks the sebaceous glands that clog with time.
What Causes Dandruff?
One of the common consequences of a dry scalp is dandruff. It is when the skin on the scalp starts flaking and resting on your hair that dandruff occurs. Research has proven that dandruff is caused by two reasons; external and internal problems. External problems are excessive use of hair styling products like hair sprays while internal problems are excessive stress, fat, insufficient sleep, poor hygiene and excessive sugar consumption.
Though there are chemical products that offer dandruff remedies, they tend to make your sensitive hair dry and rough. On the contrary, natural or home remedies for dandruff are harmless to both your scalp and hair. This is why people suffering from dandruff prefer using these home remedies to treat their condition.
Home Remedies for Dandruff and Dry Scalp
- Tea tree oil is a herb that helps in treating your dandruff problem. You just have to apply it to your scalp, or mix it with your shampoo for relief from dandruff. You could also buy shampoos containing tea tree oil for additional relief from dandruff.
- Another effective home remedy involves using vinegar. Mix about 2 spoons of vinegar with 6 spoons of water and apply this to the scalp using cotton before sleeping. Wash your hair thoroughly the next morning, and rinse with vinegar water. This should be repeated once a week for 3 months for optimum relief from dandruff.
- You could also add a teaspoon of lemon juice to 2 teaspoons of vinegar and after proper mixing, massage your scalp with this mixture for some time. Then shampoo your scalp with an egg based shampoo to strengthen your hair and to eliminate dandruff.
- Apply neem oil to your dry itchy scalp for relief from scalp redness and initial psoriasis conditions. For better effects, add a spoon of camphor to the neem oil before massaging it into your scalp. This is also a good remedy for psoriasis.
- Boil some dried thyme in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes and once the concoction cools down, massage your scalp with it. Then after leaving it on your scalp for half an hour, wash off using water.
- Massage a mixture of equal amounts of almond and olive oil to your hair, leave it for 5 minutes and then wash off using a mild shampoo.
All these dandruff remedies and dry scalp treatment options may not produce immediate effects. However with its prolonged use, they provide better relief from a dry and itching scalp and dandruff than most of the chemicals and over the counter products available in the market.
You may also like to read this article on home remedies for hair growth.
Ebooks related to Dry Scalp Treatment and Dandruff
Subscribe to our Newsletter to download this free ebook and many more.