There are several home remedies and natural treatments that are very effective for bladder spasms. By reading this article to the end you will be able to get yourself knowledgeable about this condition so you can finally do something about it.
Bladder spasm is also known as urinary incontinence. Any involuntary squeezing of muscle is called spasm. The squeezing of the bladder muscles are called bladder spasms.
When the bladder muscles get squeezed, there is a sudden and urgent need to urinate. The spasm also forces urine out of the bladder. This leads to leakage of urine. The leakage could be in small or large amounts. It causes embarrassment to the patient. It is also painful. It causes cramping pain due to muscular contraction. There are many medications and other treatment options that can help and home remedies for bladder spasms are some of the most favorable as they are natural and won’y cause further complications.
What Causes Bladder infections and Bladder Spasm in Women?
Women and the elderly people are more affected by this problem. Bladder spasm and urinary incontinence in women can be due to
- Bladder infection
- Bladder muscle damage
- Surgeries like Cesarean and hysterectomy
Other Causes of Bladder Spasms
It can also affect others. The main causes are
- 1. Bladder cancer
- 2. Kidney or bladder stones – See our article on kidney stone home remedies here.
- 3. Neurological injuries due to accidents.
- 4. Neurological diseases like multiple sclerosis, brain tumor, Parkinson’s and cerebral palsy etc.
- 5. Bladder inflammation and infection
- 6. Interstitial cystitis
- 7. Use of catheters due to disability or after surgery.
- 8. Surgeries like prostatectomy.
The main symptoms are frequent urination, urinary urgency and leakage of urine involuntarily.
Bladder training is the first and foremost treatment option for spasm control. This is nothing but following a time schedule for voiding. Following a routine helps in bladder retraining. Pelvic floor exercises are also useful in getting relief from urinary incontinence. The exercises help in strengthening the bladder muscles. Avoiding caffeine, spicy food, alcohol and citrus food is important because these foods may cause bladder spasms. These are all easily achieved from home.
Apart from the above mentioned natural remedies, the patient can go for electric stimulation or surgery. A soft massage on the point of kidneys and bladder gives relief from spasm. Soaking the pelvis region in a hot water tub gives relief from pain. Electric stimulation relaxes the bladder and calm down the over active nerves that supply urine to the bladder. This is an outpatient treatment option. Surgery is recommended only for severe cases of urinary incontinence who experience severe spasms and severe leakage and frequency of urination. Your doctor may prescribe medications to treat the disease. Many of them have been very effective when treated early. Some of them may have undesirable side effects.
If convulsions of the bladder are due to a bladder infection, it is better to treat the infection at an early stage to avoid the advancement of the condition, Bladder infection home remedies are the best option to treat bladder infections.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps in flushing out the bacteria and other toxins from the bladder, kidneys and the urinary tract.
- Adding a teaspoon of baking soda with the water you drink helps in destroying the bacteria that cause infection.
- Cranberry juice is good for the patients suffering from urinary incontinence, especially in pregnant women. This is one of the more effective home remedies ever.
- Corn silk tea gives good relief from the symptoms of bladder spasm.
- Women should urinate and clean well after intercourse to avoid the microbes from entering the body. Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of this home remedy.
- Garlic is one of the greatest home remedies. Chew raw garlic or dissolve garlic paste in water and drink it. Garlic is a disinfectant and helps in killing the disease causing bacteria.
- Avoid sugary foods and food rich in carbohydrates.
- Boil drumstick flowers in a cup of water till it becomes quarter cup. Drink this to flush out the bacteria. (an excellent home remedy)
- Spinach juice and radish leaves juice are also effective in treating bladder spasm.
- Don’t hold urine.
Special Homeopathic Remedy for Bladder Infections
CLICK THE BOTTLE BELOW TO LEARN ABOUT BladderWell
The above home remedies for bladder spasm are useful in treating infection in bladder and avoiding bladder spasms.
February 21, 2013
Wow thanks for such a nice remedy, i asked a friend of mine and i came to know from him that there are a number of different causes of bladder spasms. The cramping pain could be due to something as simple as your diet or a medication that you are taking, or it could be associated with changes in blood supply and function of the nerves controlling the bladder.
February 22, 2013
Thanks for that info.. My advice would be to use cranberry juice! It does wonders for bladder spasms and all urinary health for that matter.
April 20, 2013
An awesome article!
Bladder spasm refers to the contraction of bladder that generates urge to urinate. Sometimes, if this spasm continues, causes urinary incontinence. The conditions leading to bladder spasm include old age, infections, muscle damages, inflammation of the bladder, surgery and many more. As described above in the main body of this article, frequent urination, urinary urgency and leakage of urine involuntarily are some of the symptoms observed by the patients suffering from bladder spasm. Along with allopathic medication, traditional therapies or home remedies also help relieve bladder spasm. Bladder training  is one of the important therapies that help the patient with a spastic pelvic floor and external urinary sphincter. Bladder retraining makes you aware of patterns in your incontinence episodes. In this training you have to make a schedule to urinate and not urinate between the scheduled periods but to hold. This bladder training strengthens the pelvic floor muscles and improves the function of the urethral sphincter. Additionally, soft massage with electric stimulations is also helpful.
Drinking plenty of water helps preventing bladder infections. But, do not drink a lot of water at a time. Drink little amounts of water throughout the day. Cranberry juice prevents urinary tract infections and thus the subsequent bladder spasm . Baking soda also helps the patients with interstitial cystitis . Corn silk combats with the urinary infections. Foods like garlic and spinach have been reported as effective for bladder cancer , however, their role in the treatment of bladder spasm still has to be evaluated.
1. Yoshimura N, Chancellor MB. Differential diagnosis and treatment of impaired bladder emptying. Rev Urol. 2004; 6(Suppl 1): S24–S31.
2. Di Martino P, Agniel R, David K, Templer C, Gaillard JL, Denys P, et al. Reduction of Escherichia coli adherence to uroepithelial bladder cells after consumption of cranberry juice: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled cross-over trial. World J Urol. 2006; 24: 21–27.
3. Whitmore KE. Complementary and alternative therapies as treatment approaches for interstitial cystitis. Rev Urol. 2002; 4(Suppl 1): S28–S35.
4. Lamm DL, Riggs DR. The potential application of Allium sativum (garlic) for the treatment of bladder cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 2000; 27(1): 157-62.
Dr. Muzammil Irshad
February 6, 2017
Urge incontinence can also be caused by having a high serum calcium reading, especially if you have hyperparathyroidism. But if you have a nervous detrusor muscle like I do, ain’t nothing can help. Even pelvic floor muscles are not much use after a while, because you are so exhausted from lack of sleep after getting up two to three times a night to pee, you just don’t have the energy to do them.
June 21, 2013
Thank you for your great review and comments! Much appreciated.
May 17, 2015
Thanks for your advice,
Went to doctor, thought I had an enlarged prostate. Pain in my bladder going to try diet I like my coffee butt this is a pain!
February 13, 2017
I have been suffering with Interstitial Cystitis for 15 years. I would rather go through the labour for all three of my children at the same time instead of having bladder spasms. I have had many treatments over the years and I would like to warn other IC sufferers that remedies for bladder infections will make your spasms WORSE! The best non-drug remedy is using a TENS machine for 20 – 30 minutes two to three times a week. I have actually experienced immediate relief. The electrical current travels up a nerve just above the ankle and calms the bladder. It would be smart to see a Urologist before using this but it does work. I’ve also had great results with the drug Buscopan. IC can go into remission, mine did after the TENS treatments for about eight months, but don’t be fooled, it will come back. Stay away from coffee, sodas, spicy foods and especially eliminate Aspartame from your life. It’s a poison that really does a number on your whole body. Aspartame, Splenda and others like them get toxic levels when you drink a lot of diet sodas. How do I know? I know because my addiction to Diet Coke is responsible for my IC and for putting me in a wheelchair because I have so much chronic pain that I can’t stand up anymore. Get everything artificial out of your diet, you will feel so much better.