Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Stopping The Sniffles Naturally
Finding the best home remedies and natural treatments for a stuffy and runny nose may be as close as your kitchen cupboard. Carry on reading to learn the absolute best home remedies for this problem that will work for you or for your kids. These natural methods will have your poor old runny and discharging nose back to optimum sniffing condition in no time!
Normally most of you would know how strenuous and irritating it is to suffer from a runny or stuffed nose. At times we would feel fever is far better than scratching and blowing nose every now and then. There can be various reasons for runny nose, most noted are the viral attacks triggering the nose to discharge. According to the Center For Disease Control (CDC), there are about 200 viruses which cause influenza and the general sign is runny nose.
Who wants to run around with a pack of tissue and spending time in front of sink, sneezing, blowing and rubbing nose.
Those who have tried these natural remedies, will blindly go for it once the nose begins to bite. So let’s check on simple home remedies to cure this annoying problem.
- Pepper: Pepper is used best as an antibacterial or antiviral remedy to treat sore throat and common cold. Runny nose and frequent sneezing can be easily stopped with pepper magic. Mix half spoon of pepper (grinded/powdered) to half glass of lukewarm water and drink it completely. You would feel relieved from the irritating nose. Also gargling pepper water can discourage the dwelling of cold virus at throat.
- Lemon: Vitamin C is important to fight infection by boosting up immunity. Being a natural anti-histamine, it keeps cell membrane stabilized, preventing the release of histamines. Take a half lemon and squeeze the juice out. Mix the juice in half a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it by adding a tablespoon of honey for sweetness. Honey acts amazingly to cure sore throat. So use lemon and honey as a home remedy to stop runny nose.
- Ginger: Ginger is one of the best home remedies ever discovered. Known for its anti-inflammatory nature, ginger is one of important remedy to treat cold. Scrape ginger and add as tea or green tea is prepared. Have hot ginger tea to prevent cold virus residing in your pharynx. You can also scrape ginger in lemon juice to sip different flavors of cold relieving drinks.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is seen to cure runny nose issues in babies. Mixing little amount of turmeric powder (preheated for a minute) in a glass of hot milk is good for toddlers suffering from nose blockage, stuffy or runny nose. Inhaling turmeric powder which is sprinkled on burning coal also clears blocked noses and stops runny nose.
- Bitter Gourd: Roots of bitter gourd plant are used to treat common cold. You can use it the way it’s appreciable for your mouth, like juice of the plant or cooked form as a great runny nose remedy.
- Mustard Oil: Heat little of mustard oil till its bearable warm to touch. Using a dropper put a drop of oil in one nostril. Keep in mind the smell of mustard oil is sharp, so once one nostril is adjusted to it, put into next nostril. Plain mustard oil is considered a good home remedy for runny nose.
- Sesame Seeds: Running nose is much frequent in biting weather. You feel itchy nose throughout. Here is something interesting to try out when your nose go worse during winter. First take clean sesame seeds and roast in pure ghee. Then mix it well with jiggery and take it twice a day.
- Eucalyptus Oil: Eucalyptus oil does wonders in curing cold and nose inflammation. Treatment is simple, add few drops of eucalyptus oil to the hot steamed water and inhale it gently. You will get relieved of running nose very soon. If you got menthol at home, well and good, add to the steaming water for better results.
- Garlic: Eating garlic in any form is best to alleviate the troubles of runny nose. If you feel the taste pungent, mix it with a tablespoon of honey. Honey and garlic are effective to heal inflamed throat and make awesome runny nose remedies.
- Salt Solution: Saline solution is used from decades to ease out the problems of runny nose. It might be uncomfortable at first, but you would go happy with the results. Mix half teaspoon of salt in 8 ounce glass of water. See whether the salt go completely dissolved. Using a dropper, put a drop to each nostril one after other. It would act by drying off the mucous secretion, reducing the itchiness and rinse the nostrils. Do it twice to stop runny nose for a speedy recovery. Clean off saline from nostril by blowing off finally.
- Feast Your Diet: Feast your fever with spicy diet. Add spicy food more to diet to reduce pulmonary infection and clear up your throat from virus. Spicy foods like chilly, ginger, pepper food items cure nasal blockage, freeing nose from getting stuffed or running madly with discharge.
Fighting a cold with these quick and easy available home remedies is not any tiresome task. Thank the lovely flavors of nature and enjoy the chilling weather outside by breathing the fresh air in, without any troubles of that stuffy running nose.
Author: This article was written by Ali Khan from Dothealth, an Informa business healthcare portal for healthcare professionals. Dothealth.com is the specialist online directory for the healthcare industry, listing companies, products and services of relevance to medical professionals and all those who want to source or sell products and services in the healthcare sector.