Fish Oil – The Facts, The Benefits, and The Side Effects
Medical experts and scientists have always mentioned about the great benefits of consuming fish oil.
This oil can be consumed from supplements or from eating the marine products. As the name suggests, this fishy oil is the natural oil production that is derived from fish. Like other marine creatures that contain healthy substances and contents, fish oil is believed to help people getting rid of severe diseases and serious ailments. That’s why such oil is greatly needed by the body.
Most people are consuming fish oil as a dietary supplement. The oil is often found in certain fish species, like the salmon, cod, halibut, mackerel, herring, and tuna.
The reason why such oil is beneficial for the overall health is because it contains fatty acids Omega 3 – both EPA and DHA – that can really improve the health factor. The Omega 3 is good to reduce and also treat inflammation. It’s good for cardiovascular diseases because it can make blood pressure go down, it can reduce the triglyceride level, and able to remove plaque on the blood vessels. Such oil can be used to treat morning stiffness and joint inflammation. That’s why it can be used to treat rheumatic, psoriasis, corticosteroids, and also lupus – not to mention to help people with high blood pressure issue, cardiovascular problem, and also high cholesterol level.
Some scientists also believe that the oil can improve brain function and abilities when consumed by toddlers and kids. Nowadays, such fishy oil supplements for kids are available with certain orange flavors, so the kids want to consume it.
Another Function of Fish Oil
Besides alleviating serious diseases like lupus or cardiovascular one, this oil can be used for various situations and conditions.
- It’s able to prevent stroke, since it’s able to remove plaque on the blood vessels.
- It’s also able to help treating depression and other thinking issues, such as Alzheimer, psychosis, and the disorder of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity because it’s commonly known as the food for brain.
- It can be used to treat glaucoma or dry eyes that can cause more serious eyesight issues.
- It can be used to treat breast pain, painful period, and other women issues. It can even be helpful to deal with early delivery, possibility of miscarriage, or pregnancy.
- It can be used to treat asthma, obesity, osteoporosis, diabetes, or kidney issues.
How to Consume it
The oil is mostly available in the form of pill supplement. However, for kids, the oil is available in the form of liquid supplement with flavors, like the vitamins. But consuming the pills can bring its own problems. Since the pills are quite big, some people may experience difficulty to swallow it. They may need certain help and boost. They can chew banana until it’s very soft and then slip the pill among the pulp before swelling everything. Crushing the pills is also possible, but there’re several nutrients that probably will disappear along the way.
The Side Effects
Besides the great benefits of this oil, there are several possible effects that people should be aware of. Here is a list of the possible side effects.
- The first concern is about the possibility of pollution. Due to the growing and increasing pollution on the sea, all marine creatures are prone to pollution possibility too. If people consume too much marine products, they may develop the possibility of having arsenic pile up in their own body.
- The second concern is that people should consume the oil in proper proportion and dosage. If they follow the direction carefully, they can prevent suffering from serious illnesses and diseases. However, when they consume too much oil, the possibility of them suffering from stroke is bigger. So people need to be very careful about it.
- The third concern is about the fish preparation. As it was mentioned before, fish oil can be obtained by consuming fish. When people fry the fish, they may end up increasing their possibility of having heart diseases. If they’re able to prepare the fish by baking or broiling it, they can reduce the risk of suffering from heart issue or stroke.
Now that people have already known the great benefits of fish oil, they can certainly include it in their daily diet and food consumption. But again, remember about the proper dosage and the correct preparation system if they want to improve their health.