Although asthma affects hundreds of millions of people all over the world, there are so many home remedies for asthma besides conventional medicine that people can use to get relief.
Asthma mainly attacks children but even adults are affected.
To be perfectly honest, it is far better to prevent the development of asthma than to treat it. However, those affected by the problem have to do anything and everything to treat the condition.
Here are a few simple yet effective asthma home remedies that can come in handy to relieve someone from symptoms of asthma
- Water and Lemon: Water and lemon are well known for their cleansing properties. Water gets rid of toxins from the body and purifies blood. On the other hand, lime or lemon is known for its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties which easily break down your mucus, especially useful for those suffering from asthmatic bronchitis.
Bananas: Bananas are great asthma remedies as they provide fast relief for quite serious attacks. One should heat a banana on the stove or using the microwave and then sprinkle some black pepper powder before they eat. Doing this temporarily opens the airways and there is free flow of air to help alleviate pain caused by asthma. Although this remedy is only temporary, bananas are some of the best home remedies for asthma as they provide instant relief.
- Figs: Figs are fruits that are used to treat a number of illnesses, asthma included. These fruits make one feel comfortable as they deplete the phlegm. One should thoroughly clean two or three figs with slightly warm water and then soak them in water throughout the night. They should be eaten early in the morning.
- Honey: Honey is an effective immune booster and helps to treat as or prevent asthma attacks. When one has an asthma attack, he or she can inhale honey vapors through the nose. Alternatively, he/she can take a teaspoonful of honey about three or four times daily to relieve asthma symptoms. Honey can also be used in a beverage.
- Garlic: Garlic naturally consists of anti-inflammatory properties that help in asthma treatment. Garlic reduces the amount of mucus produced by the bronchial tubes. One or two garlic cloves should be chewed every day or one can add garlic juice to several other vegetable juices and then drink.
- Camphor and Mustard Oil: You should rub the camphor and mustard oil mixture on your chest when going to bed or as soon as you experience breathing difficulties. Mustard oil gets into the skin to break down phlegm, which is responsible for asthma attacks. This way, you get relief from symptoms of asthma attacks. However, this mixture must not be taken orally. The combination is one of the best home remedies for asthma as it is very soothing.
- Coffee: Coffee, through its caffeine content, acts in the same way as over-the-counter asthma medications. It helps to open the air ways of an asthmatic patient. Taking one or two cups of coffee should help to relieve symptoms of asthma such as wheezing and breathlessness.
Additional and effective asthma home remedies include bishops weed, Indian gooseberry, bitter gourd root, and drumstick leaves. Bishops weed works in the same way as an expectorant, while the Indian gooseberry boosts ones immunity. The bitter gourd root has antiviral agents and drumstick leaves have antibacterial properties which all help in asthma relief.
All these herbal remedies are very rich in vitamin C and are thus effective for treatment of asthma attacks.
Natural Asthma Remedies
Although studies have proved that medication is the most effective remedy for asthma, natural asthma remedies have also been known to be effective and more and more people are ditching conventional medicine in favor of them.
Childhood diet is also important in prevention of asthma. Since this condition mostly affects children, it is important that they get proper diets in order to prevent development of asthma. This is especially true in cases where there’s a history of asthma in the family.
Fruits are well known to be effective in prevention of asthma in children as well as in treating those already affected by the condition. Fruits are one the best asthma natural remedies for children and you should make sure that your child eats lots of fruits such as apples, mangoes, oranges, berries, melons etc.
Asthma in adults can also occur as a result of viral infections or environmental factors. But adjusting ones diet a little has been proved to reduce symptoms of asthma in both adults and children. Admittedly, asthma from one person to the other varies in the severity, but it has been proven that those with even severe symptoms of asthma can get relief from eating a healthier diet.
Just like in children, eating a good amount of fruits every day, especially citrus fruits or apples can help in relief of asthma symptoms or even prevent asthma development. Vegetables are also important in asthma relief, although many people tend to overlook them. Eating carrots, tomatoes, and leafy green vegetables such as lettuce in ones diet is one of the good asthma natural remedies. Although all these natural remedies may not completely cure asthma, they provide great relief and you will not need to depend so much on an asthma inhaler.
Butterbur herb is one of the most popular natural asthma remedies. The shrub has properties which help in soothing muscle spasms. It also works like an anti-inflammatory to provide relief from asthma symptoms. The herb has several possible side effects though.
BioVent Drops is a 100% safe, natural remedy specifically formulated to control and prevent asthma attacks and assist with the management of chronic asthma.
BioVent Drops has been used for many years to safely improve respiratory functioning and health, reduce the incidence and severity of asthma attacks and strengthen the immune system.
Other Preventive Measures
One should not overeat before they go to sleep as this can trigger an asthma attack. One should try to at least eat two or three hours before going to sleep. He or she should avoid smoking or any kind of smoke. One should wear a scarf or face mask in cold weather. One should also avoid breathing in cold air from a freezer and steer clear of animals with fur.
Cleanliness is Important at Home
The air conditioner as well as furnace filters should be replaced every month in order to avoid dust recirculation. Choose latex pillows as they not allergic as compared to feather pillows. In addition, one should use dust-proof covers on their furniture and mattresses. You should make sure your home is clean and neat to reduce chances of getting asthma attacks.
All of the above are the simple but effective home remedies for asthma that can be used to relieve its symptoms. Aside from these home and natural remedies, one should also take note of things such as foods, allergens and many more that can trigger serious symptoms of asthma and try to avoid them. Although asthma attacks are very uncomfortable, one can use a few safety measures and asthma home remedies to prevent or relieve the symptoms.
See Free Dealing with Asthma Naturally ebook below
To get this ebook and other home remedies ebooks for FREE, simply fill in the form and join our weekly!