Home Remedies for Gas – Flatulence Info and Pain Relief
Before you try different home remedies for treating a gas or flatulence problem, you should know how to identify gas pain from other forms of pain. Generally, symptoms for this condition include severe or mild abdominal pains, flatulence, belching and abdominal bloating. In addition, gas pain may spread and become trapped in the back or even the chest. Read on to learn everything about this health problem and discover some natural remedies for gas that are safe and effective.
The GI tract consists of oxygen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen which when mixed with pancreatic juices and bile, produces carbon dioxide.
There are various causes for the formation of gas like stress, inactivity and the consumption of contaminated food and water, malt extracts and fibrous foods. Then again, gastroenteritis and irritable bowel syndrome can also form gas.
Though there are some drugs in the market that can help reduce the bloating feeling that arises with gas, it’s better to use home cures for gas pain relief. Gas problems are so common that taking drugs every time you get an attack can lead to side effects. On the contrary, home remedies for gas are a much safer option. It is also advisable you avoid foods and eating habits that cause excessive abdominal gas. It is important to seek medical advice if the pains are accompanied by other conditions like diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
How to Relieve Gas
- Garlic Soup: The best cure for relief from gas is to consume garlic soup. It not only reduces the formation of intestinal gas, but also helps increase digestion. All you have to do to make this soup is to grind some cumin, black pepper, coriander seeds and garlic, add some water to this mixture, and boil. Two doses of the soup give lots of relief from a gassy stomach.
- Asafetida: Try mixing some asafetida in half glass of water for relief from gas trouble as asafetida is a good carminative and anti-flatulent.
- Cumin Seeds: Roast a teaspoon of cumin seeds and add two cups of water to it and boil for about 5 to 10 minutes till the concoction reduces to one cup. Drink this concoction once or twice a day for relief from gas.
- Ajwain and Pineapple: Similarly, creating a decoction of ajwain, which is another anti-flatulent herb, also provides gas pain relief. To this decoction, you have to soak some pineapple pieces overnight. The next morning, you have to squeeze the pineapple pieces to extract its essence to the decoction and drink the decoction after filtering for gas pain relief. However this is not an advised for pregnant women.
- Ayurvedic Herbs: There are many chooran powders and pills in the market made of ayurvedic herbs and spices that work as effective home remedies for gas. They help improve digestion, especially after eating fried foods.
Foods to Avoid
Instead of looking for relief from gas in stomach, it’s always better to prevent and control the formation of gas in the first place. The best way to do this is by following a diet that is free from gas producing foods. There are some vegetables like cauliflower, beans, sprouts, cabbage and broccoli that should be completely avoided for relief from gas. Take tofu instead of beans as it is a more digestible protein, with the same protein value.
Cut down your consumption of artificial sweeteners, foods with yeast like bread and cheese, oats, carbonated drinks and potato chips to considerably reduce the amount of gas in your foods. Adults suffering from lactose intolerance also trigger gas formation in the body. So it’s better for such adults to avoid dairy products from the diet. Avoid overeating, and eating more of foods with high fat content for complete reduction and relief from gas symptoms.
Follow a healthy lifestyle As the foods listed to be avoided are all healthy foods, they can’t be actually removed from your diet. Instead, just restrict your consumption for a rational measure in treating your gas problems. Even eating smaller meals helps in reducing flatulence. Consequently, you have to chew food slowly, and eat slowly at a regular pace. If you quickly gobble down your food, you risk causing air to get trapped in the gastrointestinal tract and thus promote gas release.
Make it a point to regularly exercise or at least do some physical activity that helps in maintaining the condition of your intestinal muscles. Drink lots of water, about 8 glasses of water per day and increase your fiber intake for promoting regular bowel movements. This is necessary to keep the levels of gas producing bacteria low, and thus reduce the instances of flatulence.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Chew a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds and wash it down with a glass of hot water. This remedy not only acts as a natural gas relief remedy but it also aids in building pressure that helps you to pass motions and relieve pains.
- Roasted Garlic: Roast three to four garlic cloves with clarified butter until they turn brown. Chew them slowly and swallow everything.
- Ginger: Ginger is a very helpful natural remedy for gas-related problems. Brewing tea with slices of fresh ginger is also a very effective natural remedy for this condition. Add three slices of ginger to boiling water and brew it for 10-15 minutes. Take this herbal tea for 2-3 times daily. Also, you can soak slices of ginger in lime juice and chew them. In addition, you can prepare a mixture of freshly grated ginger with a teaspoonful of lemon juice and add it to warm water. This should release any gas that is trapped and relieve the pain.
- Herbal Tea: There are various herbal tea extracts you can drink for relief from gas in stomach. Try brewing and drinking teas made from herbs like anise, chamomile, fennel and peppermint. Even teas from blanched verbena leaves provide a good home remedy from gas.
- Cinnamon Tea: Add a pinch of cinnamon when brewing tea. However, you should not add milk when preparing this tea. Taking this tea is known for relieving the pain instantly.
- Parsley Tea: Parsley is also famous for its medicinal value and makes a great tea to relieve gas pains.
- Passion Fruit and peach Leaves Tea: while tea made from brewing passion fruit with peach leaves help in providing relief from gas.
- Apple Cedar Vinegar: Add one or two teaspoonfuls of apple cedar vinegar to a glass of warm water and take the decoction.
- Water: You should take 2-3 liters of water daily. Water helps to cleanse the colon and is one of the readily available gas pain relief remedies. Drinking it hot also aids in building abdominal pressure that encourages elimination of trapped abdominal gases.
- Brandy: Mix two teaspoonful of brandy with lukewarm water and drink before sleeping. This is an effective cure for gas as brandy and water helps in accelerating the digestive process.
- Ginger Powder and Asafoetida: Mix half a teaspoon of dry ginger powder with a pinch each of rock salt and asafoetida with a cup of warm water. Drink this mixture for gas relief.
- Dill Oil and Honey: Taking a drop of dill oil with a teaspoon of honey immediately after a meal also helps in providing relief from gas.
- Ginger, Cardamom and Pepper: Grind a teaspoon each of dry ginger, green cardamom seeds and pepper, add half a teaspoon of this mixture to water and drink an hour after eating your food.
- Peppermint: The oldest home remedy for gas is sucking on a peppermint after meals. This is an effective remedy as the menthol in peppermint soothes digestive muscles, and thus helps treat flatulence, bloating and associated abdominal pain. Even a mixture of peppermint oil and caraway oil is effective in providing gas pain relief.
- Buttermilk: Even drinking buttermilk to which you add black salt and dry mint powder every morning helps in providing an effective remedy from flatulence.
Special Herbal Remedy for Gas and Flatulence
Click on the bottle below to learn more about Gasolve Relief !
Exercises and Postures
Combining natural remedies with exercises has been proven to help in controlling this condition effectively. Some of the common exercises and postures that are known to help in controlling flatulence and gas pain include, Abdominal massages Massaging your stomach area gently with fennel oil has been proven to help in relieving the abdominal pains by expelling the trapped gases forcefully.
Walk Exercises: Take a walk whenever the pains begin. You can also jog or spot run whenever the pains strike. This improves blood circulation.
Yoga Poses: Some yoga poses may help in relieving this pain. For instance, you can lie on your back and pull your bended legs towards your chest. Stay in this position for about 10-15 minutes. Also, you can lie on your back and support your head with a pillow. Then, lift your legs and bend them backwards gently. These poses help in building pressure in the stomach for a quick gas pain relief.
Besides following a healthy lifestyle, avoiding gas-producing foods and using these home remedies, you have to keep calm and reduce your stress levels for optimum relief from gas.
Ebooks related to Gas and Flatulence
Grab this particular book now here: GREEN SMOOTHIES
Participate in the once a week natural remedies newsletter and receive home therapy and natural health-related books similar to this one delivered to your inbox weekly for free!.
When you order my unique handbook, “The Big Book of Home Remedies” you may also gain prompt entry into our privy members zone and that allows you to pick up any of our four-hundred and sixteen organic health and well-being ebooks free of cost.