Did you know that you can find some of the most effective home remedies right in your kitchen?
As the awareness about the side effects of conventional medicines is increasing, more and more people are turning to herbal or home remedies, which can provide gentle and safe relief from host of health related conditions.
Many people are unaware of the wide array of potential benefits that kitchen foods have to offer. One of the most popular and commonly used foods is bamboo, which is not just known for its unique flavor but also has many health benefits.
Bamboo is a wood perennial plant commonly found in Asia, and bamboo shoots are extensively used in Asian cooking. Chinese have perfected the art of cooking bamboo shoots and have been using this healthy home remedy for its infection curing property for the last hundreds of years.
Facts About Bamboo
Bamboo plant is native to Asia, but can be found throughout the world. Bamboo shoots are the edible bamboo culms of many bamboo species including Bambusa vulgaris and Phyllostachysedulis. There are two types of edible bamboo shoots; spring shoots and winter shoots (less tougher and larger than spring bamboo shoots).
How Is It Used?
Different parts of the bamboo plant are used to treat variety of diseases because of its various curative powers.
Versatile bamboo can be consumed in the form of bamboo leaf or bamboo shoots. Bamboo shoots are used in various forms in Asia- vegetable, pickled or fried. It has a slightly cold and sweet taste and is used on various Asian recipes, curries, salads, snacks, stir fries and broths.
They are available in both canned and fresh forms. Bamboo leaf is used in making tea and bamboo extract, which are loaded with many health promoting properties. Studies have been going on to make people aware of the medicinal properties this versatile plant possesses.
Bamboo shoots contain high amount of dietary fiber, which further maintains healthy digestive tract. They are low in fat and contain a good profile of minerals. It is loaded with 17 types of amino acids and 10 essential minerals such as potassium, copper, zinc, vitamin B6, protein, riboflavin and manganese. All these vitamins and minerals help in healthy functioning of all various organ systems of the body.
- Bamboo is very effective in combating respiratory ailments. Its anti-spasmodic property helps in treating spasm of the respiratory tract and therefore used in treating asthma attacks, bronchial spasms, and congestion of the nasal passages.
- It contains germicidal properties, which can help in killing intestinal parasites and treating number of digestive disorders. It enhances digestive action of the stomach and helps to tone stomach muscles. It is used in treating indigestion, spasmodic pain of diarrhea and constipation.
- It is used in regulating menstrual cycle in women. It can also ease heavy bleeding, relieve spasmodic pain during menses and ease labor pain.
- Bamboo shoots and leaves are loaded with anti-oxidant properties that help in fighting free radicals, which are responsible for oxidative damage of the cells and causing many age-related diseases such as heart diseases, cancer and diabetes. Anti-oxidants also help in keeping the skin and hair healthy.
- Due to its anti-bacterial properties, it is used in cleaning and healing of ulcers and wounds.
- Studies have indicated that bamboo shoots can help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels in the body. The high levels of potassium in bamboo help in lowering cholesterol levels in the blood. Hence, this healthy herb offers you a natural way to keep your circulatory system healthy.
- Bamboo extract prepared from leaf and edible stem of the plant contains high amounts of silica, which is an essential nutrient for the body. Silica helps in keeping skin and hair healthy, strengthening the musculoskeletal system and improving the conditions of nails and teeth.
- Due to their high lignans content, bamboo shoots contain anti-cancer, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. They are effective in reducing the risk of cancer.
If you are using raw bamboo shoots, make sure to boil them in salt water for at least half an hour. This will kill the germs and bacteria present on the surface. Avoid giving it to pregnant women as it contains abortive properties.