Home Remedies for Warts – Effective Natural Removal Methods
This article discusses all the best home remedies known to be effective for the treatment of warts. They are hideous things so knowing how to blitz a wart to smithereens is priceless.
What are Warts?
Warts are generally small, rough outgrowths. One can have warts on hands and feet among other body parts. They mostly resemble a minuscule cauliflower. They can persist for months to more than a year and they might recur later too. Warts on hands really look bad and if you have any you should take immediate measures to get rid of them. Just like any other wart, hand warts are also caused by a virus known as human papillomavirus.
Different types of warts are caused by different strains of this virus. Since the virus is able to stick on surfaces and objects the people usually get infected while touching the surface or exchanging objects. Let us discuss various types of wart and the useful methods of wart removal.
Causes of Warts
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is the main causative organism of warts. Over 130 known type of HPV can infect the squamous epithelium of humans causing a benign growth called a ‘papilloma’ or a ‘wart’.
Types of Wart
There may be many types of warts. Of these, the most prominent are the following;
- Common wart or Verruca vulgaris – The most common type of wart that occurs in majority of people is the common wart. These warts are primarily found near the fingers or palms. These are known as common warts as these warts can occur at any body part. This type of wart disappears by itself in two years without any treatment. But since warts are contagious, you should take immediate measures for wart removal as soon as possible.
- Subungual warts – These warts also occur commonly on hands. This type of wart should be provided immediate consultation by a dermatologist. Since these warts are present near the finger nails they look ugly and can even alter the shape of fingernails.
- Genital warts – This is associated with ‘high risk’ Human Papilloma Virus as these have the potential to cause cervical cancer.
- Flat wart – This type predominantly occurs on face, hands, neck and wrists.
- Digitate or filiform wart – This type also occurs on the face, especially near the lips and eyelids.
- Mosaic wart – Commonly occurs on the soles of feet and hands.
- Plantar wart – This type also occurs on the sole of the feet. But these are very hard and extremely painful.
- Perilungual wart – A painful type of cauliflower like warts that forms underneath the nails. One can get rid of these sorts of warts on hands by simple home remedies and over the counter drugs.
Are Warts Contagious?
Yes they most certainly are. It’s possible for people to carry the infection for months or even years on end without showing any symptoms. So even if your friends and family don’t suffer visibly from warts there’s still a chance that they could unwittingly pass them on to you.
The reasons for the spread of the disease is the contagious nature of human papillomavirus. It can easily get transferred on contact. Thus by the shared use of infected household products like toys, fingernails and combs, the people get infected with warts. Similarly, sharing the towel of an infected person can also result in warts. Thus in order to prevent the spread of the disease, you should not share items like towel once you get infected with a wart. Similarly, in order to prevent the wart from spreading to different parts of your own body, you should again keep the skin clean and healthy.
The best method for leaving your warts for dead or ensuring they never appear in the first place is to boost your immunity levels. This obviously has numerous other health benefits too.
Warts aren’t just unsightly; they can also be itchy or even downright uncomfortable so it’s no surprise that people want to get rid of warts or better still avoid contracting them in the first place.
Fortunately once you realize that warts in humans are caused by the HPV virus and that this virus travels most easily in warm, moist conditions you realize there are a number of simple, effective techniques we can employ to significantly reduce the chances of becoming infected with warts.
Avoid Bare Feet At Swimming Pools
One of the most common forms of wart is the so-called veruca which is found on the soles of the feet and can cause considerable discomfort. Swimming pools are therefore the perfect breeding ground for the virus thanks to the combination of bare feet and moist floors.
A good antidote if you’re concerned about warts is either to avoid public swimming pools altogether or alternatively wear flipflops or waterproof socks when walking around to avoid direct contact with the damp floor.
Moisturize Your Skin
Studies have shown that damaged skin is far more likely to become infected with the HPV virus leading to the growth of warts. This means that dry, cracked skin can present a real opportunity for the virus to become established. A regular routine of moisturization to keep your skin in top condition is consequently a quick and easy way to reduce the risk of warts.
Avoid Obvious Warts
If you see people with visible warts there is a high likelihood that they could infect you. In these situations try to avoid either direct physical contact with them or even indirect contact such as handling money they have given you. In the worst case scenario, should you only notice the warts after contact has been made, some authorities claim that antiseptic wipes or handwashes can be useful for killing the virus if it is used soon after contact is made.
Never Sharing Towels
Warm, moist towels are another perfect environment for the wart virus to live for extended periods of time. To avoid the risk of warts then one should never share towels with anyone, no matter how close to them you may be. Instead use freshly-laundered towels where the hot water will have killed of any residual virus present.
Boost Your Immune System
If you are exposed to the HPV virus then your immune system should try to fight off the infection. However the human immune system can be affected by a range of factors so it’s smart to try and help your body do it’s job through the consumption of additional vitamin C as well as ensuring you get adequate sleep at night. Try ImmunityPlus – Natural Immune System Booster!
As warts are caused by a virus so it follows that vaccination may be another way to avoid the presence of warts. Sadly it seems that doctors have yet to create a vaccination that will control every type of wart but if you have concerns it can be worth visiting your health practitioner to inquire about the options they offer.
Home Remedies for Wart Removal
There are over the counter medications available for warts to. The most commonly used one is the medicated pad, that can be easily applied over the wart. This pad freezes away the wart in some time.
Many people have suffered from these menacing warts and everybody looks for reliable treatments to remove them. Wart removal can be done by three major methods or by a combination of them. These are:-
- Over the counter medicines to remove warts – Many pharmaceutical companies have creams, gels and other topical ointments as wart removers. Some also have oral medication. These can be easily purchased. You can also use a wart removal cream available in medical stores. These creams are natural and are made up of plan extracts. Thus there is no chance on any side effect as well. Again unlike the synthetic chemicals, the herbal cream is also gentle on your skin.
- Wart removal procedures – Doctors generally use a chemical that makes the warts blister so that they can be easily removed. Getting the wart treated by doctor ensures that you undergo correct diagnosis and treatment. Surgical procedures, laser treatment, cryosurgery, keratolysis using salicyclic acid etc can be used to remove warts.
- Home remedies – There are many wart removal home remedies that one may opt for to get a relief from the persistent problem of warts.
- Castor oil – Every night, before going off to bed one should apply copious amounts of castor oil in the affected area. This remedy should see the warts reduce in size and disappear with regular application.
- Figs – Hardly ripe and fresh fig fruits should be collected. These fruits can be crushed and a milky white fluid can be extracted from it. With regular application of this fig milk in the affected areas, warts can be removed.
- Potato – In the treatment and removal of warts, juice of a raw potato is extremely beneficiary. But, there is one problem. The potency of raw potato juice decreases manifold when it comes in contact with air. The air causes reduction in the potato juice and renders it less effective. So to derive the maximum from the juice, one should pulp the potato and apply it on the affected area. Then the area should be bandaged to hold the potato pulp in place. One should take care to change the bandages regularly for best results.
- Onion – The juice of onions is irritant to human skin and increases the circulation in an area. So when warts are treated with juice of a fresh onion, then the blood flow to that area increases a lot. The onion juice must not be rinsed off. It is also an effective wart removal home remedy.
- Indian Squill – Indian squill is a bulbous herb. The bulb of this herb is crushed and a juice is extracted. This juice should be applied to the affected area and the results for wart removal are extremely satisfying.
- Dandelion – A milky fluid oozes out from the cut end of a dandelion. This is a very mild yet effective treatment for the removal of warts. The juice of dandelion can be applied to sensitive areas like the face and also for genital wart removal.
- Marigold – The sap from marigold leaves and stem are often applied in quick succession for quicker wart elimination. Marigold leaves are soaked in hot water and then blended into a paste. This paste is applied religiously on the affected areas and covered with bandage to keep it firmly in it’s place. Regular and repeated use should give good results.
- Cashew nut oil – This is a strong irritant to the skin and it helps to dry up and remove the warts.
- Pineapple juice – Juice from a fresh pineapple will also help to dry up warts as it is also an irritant to skin.
- Papaya juice – Papaya juice contains high levels of a proteolytic enzyme called papain. Papain makes the skin of the wart softer and thus provides relief from the pain.
- Vitamin E oil – Take a vitamin E oil capsule, cut it and apply the oil on the affected area for beneficiary results.
- Tea tree oil – A poultice made of tea tree oil can also be applied.
- Aloe – This can be applied externally as creams or directly as gels extracted from the plant.
- Garlic – The anti – viral properties of garlic are extremely dependable. Crush some garlic and apply on the affected area. The area should be covered with a bandage. The bandage should be taken off after 24 hours. A blister would form on the wart but it will eventually fall off.
- Chickweed – This herb can be used the same way as garlic. Both these home remedies to remove warts are effective.
- Lemon and apple cider – Prepare lemon slices and soak them in apple cider vinegar. Allow this to stand for 14 days. Then the lemon slices would become extremely high on acid content as it would soak in the apple cider vinegar too. Then the lemon slices are to be applied on the warts. The HPV causing the warts would not be able to survive in such acidic condition and the wart would fall off. This method one of the more potent home remedies for the removal of warts.
- Calendula – This herb has a dual attacking capability and is also one of the more potent home remedies. Prepare a strong tea of Calendula and this can be applied to the affected areas and also ingested.
Use the duct tape method. combine tape and apple cider vinegar. Keep the warts covered. This method really does work and many have sworn by its effectiveness. The treated warts will become hard, darken in color and eventually go away or come away.
Finally you should not pick your warts ever as it results in the spread of the disease. Another common mistake that people generally do is that they chew their fingernails while having warts which is not a healthy practice. I hope these tips helped you to understand how to remove hand warts effectively.
Free Ebook Related to Warts
This book is going to focus on introducing as many different natural treatments for warts and moles as possible, because it is always preferable to use treatments which are both safe and natural for any wart removal method. Download it here: Get rid of Warts, Moles and Skin Tags the Natural Way
To get ebooks delivered to your email each week, just join my free newsletter here!
or if you buy The Big Big Book of Home Remedies, you will also get access to out vast collection of natural health ebooks where you can download as many as you like for free and there are over 230 of them!