Acne scar treatment can be classified into natural or home remedies, prescription treatment and self care tips that can help prevent re-occurrence.
Acne is a form of skin condition that causes red pustules and cysts called pimples. They are caused when too much oil is produced in the glands blocking pore. This causes a buildup of dirt, bacteria, debris and inflammatory cells. When the pimples break open, the material inside causes swelling and red bump formation. This in turn will cause red painful cysts and likely scarring.
There are different types of acne which are classified depending on the way they present themselves. These include:
Ice pick: These are common and characterized by deep pits that give the appearance of the surface being punctured by an ice pick.
- Boxcar: This presents scars that are angular with sharp edges that may resemble chicken pox. They commonly affect cheeks and temples.
- Rolling: These give the skin a wavy like appearance with wide and shallow pits. They are caused by damage under the skin surface.
- Hypertrophic: This acne has scars that are raised and commonly affects the chest, face and back.
They can also be classified on the different parts of the body that they affect. For example you can have facial acne, back acne and chest acne.
What To Consider When Looking For The Best Acne Scar Treatment
- Cost effective. The treatment should be able to fit into your budget.
- Effective. It should be able to eliminate the acne completely or for a longer period of time.
- The acne scar treatment should also have minimum side effects.
How to Remove Acne Scars: TIPS
Before you decide to take up a certain acne scar removal measure, there are a few things you need to ensure:
- Make sure that your skin is free of active acne. This is so because; the treatment may interfere or worsen the acne due to reaction with the different compounds in the treatment.
- Arm yourself with the necessary information about the acne and the treatment you are about to take. This will include being aware of the contraindications any serious effects, your skin reactions and sensitivity as well as other options available for treatment.
- Know the type of acne that you are treating.
- From all the information, it is then essential to select the best that fits you.
Self-Care Treatment Tips
If you want to learn on how to get rid of acne scars fast, then you need to employ a few self-care tips. These can also be considered as acne treatment.
- When cleaning your skin, use mild soap and clean it gently without rubbing. Wash the affected area at least once a day and after performing exercises.
- Shampoo oily hair daily and hold it away from the face if it is oily.
- Avoid squeezing the pimples, wearing headbands and hats that are tight.
- Do not touch your face with hands and fingers.
- Use cosmetics or creams that are non-greasy. Make sure to take off make-up at night using water based formulas.
Home Remedies for Acne Scars
Home remedies for acne scars can be used at the comfort of your home; they are cheap and readily available. Among the best home remedies that will help get rid of acne scars include:
- Lemon juice: This is among the quickest and most effective acne scars home remedies. Fresh lemon juice is squeezed into a container. Using a cotton ball, you can then apply it directly on the affected area. This is then washed off after a while with water. The lemon juice helps to remove acne scars and spots by lightening them. For the best and quick results you can apply the juice twice daily.
- Sandalwood and Rosewater Paste: This paste is used as a facial mask, which is directly applied to the affected region. The paste is left for about one hour or overnight and then washed off with water. Sandalwood paste is an effective way on how to get rid of acne scars fast. It works by soothing and giving a cooling effect to the skin.
- Tomato: Tomatoes have vitamin A that is an antioxidant. This vitamin helps in acne scar removal by preventing the overproduction of sebum which leads to acne. The tomato an also be made into a facial mask by mixing with cucumber. This mixture tightens the skin pores to give it an even texture. Cucumber also soothes inflammation, heals scars and refreshes the skin.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil improves the appearance of acne scars. It is applied by massaging it on the skin. It helps by moisturizing and softening the texture of the skin hence reducing acne scar visibility.
- Honey: This is another great acne scar treatment which is a natural moisturizer. The honey is applied on the scarred skin as a mask, or it can also be taken orally if it is specifically formulated for acne scar home remedies.
- Ice Cubes: Ice is a home remedy that is used by rubbing around the face for about fifteen minutes daily to remove acne scars.
- Aloe Vera: This is a wonderful herb that is used as a home remedy to get rid of acne scars. It is used by just applying the juice or gel from the herb directly on the scarred area to reduce the scars fast.
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil is one of the most essential oils because it improves healing and prevents infections. The oil has essential compounds that have antiseptic and antibacterial properties. You can use the oil by saturating a cotton ball with a few drops and applying it on the scar twice a day.
- Egg Whites: These are among the cheapest and yet effective acne scars home remedies. You can use egg white by dabbing a cotton wool into the mixture and rubbing onto the acne scars. You can then leave them overnight and wash off in the morning.
- Water: Water is a great home remedy for acne scar treatment. It is used while washing the affected area and when drinking. It is recommended to drink plenty of water to help flush off toxins and waste from the body. Plenty of water will also help the body be well hydrated making the skin supple and easy to clean.
Apart from the above, other natural treatments for acne scars include: clove oil, green tea, milk of magnesia, bergamot oil, flaxseed oil papaya, eucalyptus, rosehip seed oil, tea tree oil, witch hazel and basil among others.
Would you like a free ebook on Acne and Acne Scar Treatment? Simply subscribe to our home remedies newsletter to get access to our free home remedies ebook collection.