Stomach flu treatment mainly focuses on the means of providing care and support to the body as the immune system fights the disease.
This is because, there are no medicines that can directly attack or kill the virus. Depending on the strength of the immune system and the type of the virus, it may take one to ten days to kill the virus.
Stomach flu, also known as gastroenteritis is viral disease associated with inflammations of the small intestine and the stomach. The gastrointestinal tract is very sensitive to inflammations, since it is always packed with food content.
Symptoms of a Stomach Flu
- Abdominal pains. Hyperactive bowels and cramping are the main causes of abdominal pains as suggested by researchers. In addition, as food passes through inflamed walls of the stomach and intestines, pain is imminent.
- Diarrhea. Diarrhea after eating occurs as a result of inflamed intestines that are unable to absorb food and water. The result is that, almost all food taken tends to be ingested quickly on reaching the intestines.
- Nausea. This is caused by irritation in the inflamed areas.
- Vomiting. Results from nausea and when excessive, can lead to dehydration.
Early stomach flu treatment is necessary since, persistence of the above symptoms will result into other serious complications such as:
- Dehydration. This is a serious complication that develops due to insufficient water in the body. The main causes of this condition are: failure to drink water or taking foods containing some amount of water due to nausea and excessive loss of water through vomiting, excessive sweating or urinating and/or diarrhea. Loss of body water is also directly related to loss of minerals and salt in the body. Dehydration is divided into three stages:
- Mild dehydration – this is associated with decreased output and an increase in the number of heart beats per minute. However, blood pressure, alertness, respiratory rate, and mucus membranes conditions will still be within the normal range.
- Moderate dehydration – the patient becomes lethargic, with dry mucus membranes, and a slight increase in the respiratory rate and the heart rate.
- Severe dehydration – this is associated with extremely dry mucus membranes, dry mouth, sunken eyes, tenting and increased respiratory rate and heart rate.
Common Stomach Viruses Responsible for Stomach Flu
- Adenovirus. It is a stomach virus that mostly affects infants causing diarrhea and vomiting. The virus can be very dangerous to infants with immune system weaknesses.
- Astrovirus. This is a common stomach virus during winter. It is associated with fatigue, vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea.
- Celivivirus. The stomach virus spreads through contaminated fluids or foods. The symptoms of the virus infection are vomiting, fatigue and diarrhea.
- Rotavirus. The stomach virus attacks children between the age of three to fifteen months causing fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Stomach flu treatment consists of dietary, natural, hygiene and medical remedies.
Methods on how to treat the flu have been discussed below.
- Once the stomach flu symptoms have been noticed, stop solid foods intake for a while to let your cool down. This will also prevent causing more damage to the inflamed walls of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Take some little clean water to help cool and clean the system. At this point, you may also try taking some ice in small quantities. In addition, other non-caffeinated drinks could also serve the purpose. The process of taking water should be maintained every day to avoid serious complications like dehydration.
- Avoid taking foods containing alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. Also, avoid taking highly fatty foods like dairy products and keep off from seasoned foods until you recover from the effects of the stomach flu. Note. Taking the foods may worsen the condition of the disease and result to fatal conditions or death if not treated quickly.
- Have some adequate rest. After experiencing painful disorders like vomiting, nausea and dehydration, it is important to rest and calm the troubled mind. A rest of the brain will restart everything in the normal way and leave you fresh after waking up.
- Get medication from only competent health specialists. Stay away from ibuprofen medications like Motrin and Advil. These have been found to worsen stomach flu symptoms. Instead, you may use acetaminophen medications like Tylenol, but with caution. Tylenol sometimes may result into liver toxicity more so when used in treating children.
- For infants: help them to rehydrate by giving them an appropriate rehydration solution like Pedialyte. Remember, the infant rate of water absorption in the case of stomach flue is very low thus it is not advisable to use only water. Consult your doctor for more advice on how to do it correctly. Avoid asprin unless otherwise directed to do so by your doctor. Asprin has been found to affect the ability of the immune system in fighting the stomach virus. Doing so will therefore prolong the recovery period of your child introducing more health danger.
- Feed on garlic. It has been proved by researchers that garlic has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that make it a good remedy for stomach flu. It cools the bowel lining and the stomach walls presenting a sufficient form of relief to the patient.
- Elderberry. Natural medicine researchers have shown that an elderberry extract can be used as a stomach flu treatment. The reason behind this application is the ability of the extract elements to reduce the virus activity by binding with each virus and thus preventing them from penetrating gastrointestinal tract cell walls.
- Chamomile. This herb has been found to posses anti inflammatory properties as well as the ability to help in muscle relaxation. Other properties that make the herb a good choice for stomach flu treatment are: sedative, antimicrobial and carminative properties. Furthermore, chamomile reduces bloating effects that are common with stomach flu.
Special Natural Remedy for Stomach Flu
Stomach Flu Fighter
- is a safe, non-addictive, FDA-registered organic treatment consisting of 100 % holistic ingredients particularly selected to take care of vomiting, diarrhea and aches frequently connected with swollen tummy and inflamed gastrointestinal tract.
It is clear that all practices involved in stomach flu treatment, aim at reducing the harmful effects of the disease such as dehydration and inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract linings. In addition, it is evident that with proper care, the disease is manageable. However, if not treated in the early stages, gastroenteritis can lead to death especially in children. Care should be taken to infants and any symptom be analyzed carefully to enable early diagnosis and treatment.
The best stomach flu treatment is by constant hydration. It is best that children are treated with specifically made rehydration mixtures. Discover methods to aid with the vomiting that is associated with the stomach flu with this video by pediatrician Dr. David Hill.
Free Ebooks related to Stomach Flu Treatment
Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the most common types of medical concerns today. Although many don’t like to admit that they go through this illness, they suffer in silence.