Are Home Remedies the Best Way to Get Rid of Chest Congestion?
Congestion in the chest is a physical condition where there is a heavy build up of mucus and bacterial fluid in the lungs.
It is the term that people generally give for the heavy or light feeling that they experience in the chest. The usual symptoms that a person experiences include coughing, light to intense chest pains with a feeling of pressure, and some difficulty in breathing.
People suffering from this physical condition will experience some wheezing and others may experience back pain as well. This does always occur for both lungs and in cases where it happens on just one lung the person will feel pain on that particular side of the chest more often than the other. There are several causes for this type of condition to occur and down below are the three main root causes of congested chest.
The first cause is postnasal drip. When a person is the circumstance when mucus finds its way back down the throat and enters the lungs. It is usually caused by failure to cough out mucus already building up or when a person is suffering from allergies and is unable to control mucus to successfully cough it out of his or her body. Symptoms may become evident causing the congestion after eating.
Bronchitis is the second main cause of congestion and this is a result of a person acquiring a cold.
The third main cause is pneumonia. This is a condition where the lungs are inflamed due to infection, whether fungal, viral or bacterial. The usual symptoms for pneumonia include the flu, body aches, and the aforementioned congestion which can come with severe chest pain.
Home Remedies for Chest Infection
The most common means of battling this condition is to resort to over the counter medications. Most of the time a quick visit to the doctor will be able to tell you what sort of medicine you’ll need but a majority of the time you’ll need antibiotics. Some medicine will focus on making the mucus thinner and thus easier for your body to cough out. If you have suffered from the condition due to allergies then a quick anti-allergen medication can almost be sure to work on you to prevent further complications. You do not necessarily have to depend on medications however because as mentioned this is a condition caused by a buildup of mucus and there are a lot of different home remedies that involve everyday ingredients and procedures.
- Steam: this is by far one of the most popular natural remedies that you can find in regards to this medical condition. All you need to do is inhale steam for a good ten minutes and you will almost immediately feel the mucus loosen up and will be much easier to cough out of your body. This will also result to a degree of much less chest pain and irritation. You can add in eucalyptus oils as well because these are good ingredients to treat sore throat muscles and this will help your breathing. Steam is also a great sinus infection remedy.
- Take a hot shower: this shares the same beneficial aspects of inhaling steam but there is an added factor. The hot water that pounds on your back will immediately break up hardened mucus as well as give a decent amount of hot water therapy to soothe your back pain. This works well when done together with inhaling steam. Do not make this last too long however; a good five to ten minutes under a hot shower will be more than enough to help you breathe and cough out mucus.
- Ginger tea: this is another famous home remedy for congestion relief. All you need to do is slice two average-sized pieces of ginger and add them to a kettle of water. Let this come to a boil, strain out the pieces and then spice the fluids as needed and then serve while hot. Ginger tea works the same way as eucalyptus does as it works on relaxing throat muscles but the aroma and steam coming from the boiled mix will also work to loosen up mucus in the lungs. Thus it is used in cough remedies as well as colds and flu treatment.
- Aromatherapy: aromatic oils that are used for back massages can do all of the aforementioned benefits all in one session. You are receiving a healthy massage that with oils that will work on breaking up mucus buildup and you are also breathing in aromatic mixtures in the oil that will relax throat muscles as well as unclogging your lungs and reducing the damage of inflammation. You may want to visit an actual spa since they may have specific procedures and back massages that work well with aromatherapy and are designed specifically for curing congestion in the chest. Even an establishment for Traditional Chinese Medication (TCM) will have some of the best aromatic treatments and you might get a bonus acupuncture treatment as well.
- Spicy food: This is a very popular choice because it actually works in helping people cough and sneeze out significant amount of mucus from their lungs. Spicy food is a very good ingredient to make mucus softer, thinner and much easier to release. It is ideal to mix your food with spicy ingredients like garlic, jalapenos and others when you are suffering from this type of congestion, especially right after going through a rundown of a stomach flu or a case of the colds.
- Homeopathic Remedies: Sniffy Sprinkles is a safe, non-addictive, FDA-registered natural treatment consisting of 100 % holistic ingredients picked to alleviate nasal and chesty congestions for effortless breathing in babies and kids. Learn more about Sniffy Sprinkles.
Getting rid of this condition may take time, depending on the different causes that may have inflicted it upon you. If you are suffering it as a result of the colds or from a minor case of bronchitis then most of the home remedies and some over the counter medications will be the best way to eliminate a congested chest.
More severe cases will require high level antibiotics or anti allergy medications to control the mucus from sliding back down the throat. While these home remedies will work for most cases of a congestive chest the more severe cases, especially when there is an audible crackling sound to be heard within the chest (caused by hardened mucus in the lungs) it is suggestible that you see a doctor for a proper prescription on what to do and what medications are needed. Unchecked, the condition can lead to even worse infections and it is highly important for the proper remedy to be performed.
Ebooks related to Chest Infection:
Fill in the form to join our newsletter and get this ebook and more home remedy ebooks for FREE!